Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt

[NSFF] Discussion 2017

Maybedavis schrieb:I would like it, if we can make poll in the Offseason, about giving RB's points per reception, like WR and TE. I think it makes no sense, that a player get not the same points for the same thing. If someone Make a TD it's 6 points. Doesn't matter which position. And when a RB catches a Ball, he should also earn 0.5 points like a WR/TE.

Modifying the foundation of a league (i.e. the way points are calculated) is a very big change that should not be taken lightly. This is especially relevant for a keeper league due to the impact on past decisions from our owners which were with the original scoring framework in mind.

Our league was founded this way and frankly I don't see a compelling argument to change this aspect of the scoring system. This is a non-PPR league for RBs, that's what we signed up for when joining the league.

Debating the value of a PPR league vs. standard scoring or vs. hybrid scoring is an interesting discussion and I don't mind having such a discussion if you'd like, but as it pertains to this league I would be strongly opposed to changing a fundamental aspect of our scoring system.

Trophy Case
IDFL 2015, 2017, 2020
NSFF 2018, 2022

ranallo10 schrieb:Modifying the foundation of a league (i.e. the way points are calculated) is a very big change that should not be taken lightly. This is especially relevant for a keeper league due to the impact on past decisions from our owners which were with the original scoring framework in mind.

Our league was founded this way and frankly I don't see a compelling argument to change this aspect of the scoring system. This is a non-PPR league for RBs, that's what we signed up for when joining the league.

Debating the value of a PPR league vs. standard scoring or vs. hybrid scoring is an interesting discussion and I don't mind having such a discussion if you'd like, but as it pertains to this league I would be strongly opposed to changing a fundamental aspect of our scoring system.

I understand what you mean and I don't take it lightly. I just think it's the only rule that makes no sense in this league. especially when WR and TE get PPR.

My question is just to make make a poll, to see what the others think about that. To make it more fair, we could say if 2/3 (or maybe 3/4) say yes to that rule change, we change it. We could make that poll in the offseason of the 2018 season. And to make a smooth transition for everyone, we could set the start of the new rule for the 2019 season.

I just think it should be possible to change rules. And the szenario above wouldn't make it easy for change.

What you guys think?

Maybedavis schrieb:I just think it should be possible to change rules.
We have implemented rule change proposals and modified rules to accomodate requests, however as commissioner we have authority in saying when or when not to consider making a rule change. In the situation we consider it a change that is worth considering we will either open the decision up to a league vote (as evidenced in this forum from the failed proposal to extend the Flex position to include TEs), or we will make the decision and enforce it as soon as feasible (as we did with IR/PUP rules). We have methods for implementing rule changes, I'm simply saying in this case the proposal doesn't pass my standard for consideration.

Maybedavis schrieb:especially when WR and TE get PPR
To be clear WRs and TEs get a half point per reception (i.e. HPPR). This is an important distinction as it obviously halves the points generated via receptions.

Regarding the scoring system, I was not the commissioner at the time of the league formation however to my understanding when speaking with the original commissioner(s) this was purposefully balanced in a way to keep the top scoring non-QB in the league to be balanced between top caliber WRs and RBs, and not favor any specific style of RB over another. If you've ever formed a league the PPR/HPPR/non-PPR decision is the biggest choice you'll make when trying to find the scoring system that works for you and your vision of the league. It's the bedrock of the scoring system, it shouldn't be changed unless there's a very compelling argument. In the engine you can navigate through the league scoring from its inception and find the league leader in the RB/WR positions, and you'll notice a pretty solid rotation between top level WRs and top level RBs at the top of the list. I think that was the intent behind the decision to follow this scoring system.

In discussing HPPR vs. non-PPR, consider that currently a pass catching RB in our league gets fractional points for every yard they produce, they simply don't get points for the reception that lead them to the receiving yardage. Also consider the fact that a RB is typically catching a ball in very obvious situations (a check down or screen pass) and until recently was rarely lining up in the typical WR positions on the field, thus the majority of receptions for a RB are relatively easy catches and will generate yardage while the standard reception for a WR or TE is farther down field with defenders already covering them. This is one of the main arguments I have read/heard against RBs in PPR leagues, because it's a cheap point for a position that is already rewarded for their contributions in yardage which no other position produces consistently.

Maybedavis schrieb:we could set the start of the new rule for the 2019 season.
I understand this is just an idea for how a rule change could be rolled out into the league, and as I said we have experience with such things, but in this specific example I must re-iterate that this is a keeper league with some decisions lasting many years into the future. With this proposed change it makes countless decisions in the past few seasons have a different value and impact on future success for those owners. This proposal represents a singular increase in value for a key offensive position, and thus imbalances the valuation process taken with any QB/RB/WR/TE decision due to this change in value.

An obvious example is in McCaffrey, where would he be if this was a HPPR or PPR league for RBs? He was drafted at 1.3 but for comparison his ADP for PPR leagues was 1.1 or 1.2 depending on the sources. Would he have been available at 1.3? Would the owner that drafted McCaffrey have considered trading him if he knew the potential receptions were worth a half point each? Would the value have been the same for that trade, and thus the terms been accepted? I would contend that everything surrounding him changes and there's no telling how that would've played out if we had such a scoring system. As the owner of McCaffrey of course a rule change to make him MORE valuable would be wonderful for you, and such a rule change would benefit many other owners who happen to have PPR RB machines (David Johnson for instance), but that's not really fair for the guys who passed on these guys in the past due to our knowledge of the current (non-PPR) scoring system for RBs.

And ultimately that's my problem with changing this key scoring statistic, it punishes owners who understand the limitations of our scoring system and apply that understanding in how they value players accordingly. At the heart of it the challenge of finding players that maximize your score within the framework of your scoring system is the key to being successful in fantasy football, regardless of the scoring system.

Trophy Case
IDFL 2015, 2017, 2020
NSFF 2018, 2022

As Co-Commish I discussed this topic with Chris and I agree with his opinion not to change this rule.
When Martin set up the rules, his intention was to make WR and TE more valuable compared to RB - the teams are more balanced this way and as Chris wrote below it is one part of the game to know how to maximize the outcome for the team - aside from the fact that it would have an influence on the evaluation of trades and keeper decisions - IMO we should keep this fundamental rule as it is.

Möglicherweise verwandte Themen…
Thema / Verfasser Antworten Ansichten Letzter Beitrag
Letzter Beitrag von ranallo10
11.12.2023, 22:33

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste